Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Would Like to Teach the World to Sing in Perfect Harmony

It has been a while since I was here last for a post. Since I do not try to fill my brain with the angering and upsetting news from around the world, I actually do not seem to be inspired to write much any more. But, tonight, I will spend just a little time telling a few tales and see what you make of it.

It is bleak in Japan. The disaster suffered there is going to be a huge obstacle to overcome in the future. The clean up and reconstruction of the hardest hit areas will take a great deal of time and resources. Perhaps we all need to pitch in and help. The Nuclear plants which were damaged are beyond hope. They are all damaged and many are melted down and releasing tremendous amounts of radioactive isotopes and contamination. Remember, radioactive materials are cumulative in nature. They do not just go away unless they have a very short half-life. That nightmare will be a part of all our lives for a very long time. Protect yourself and keep your ears open for news and warnings. I can only say, you are going to have to listen to alternative areas of information to get the news regarding radiation. The government and the national press are not going to tell you much at all. It is a business kind of thing I guess. As of today, California is reporting in places 181 times higher levels of radioactive iodine isotopes showing up in rain water this past week. I will just leave you to ponder that little tidbit of news.

As far as the Middle East and North Africa goes, things are not looking good there. We have Marines poised to put boots on the ground in Libya. Thousands of civilians are getting killed on both sides of the conflict. Deteriorated Uranium ammunitions is being used and you know what that means.

Our National debt grows daily by leaps and bounds.  You know what that means too.

So, is there any bright spot in the world to talk about? Yes! It is that spot within. I have been thinking a great deal about my own space in this world and beyond. It is struggling to find some peace once again. But, I am doing it every day, more and more, by looking towards the reality of my own life. When I tune out the world, I become a better person. I know, YOU ARE SAYING THAT IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO LIVE LIFE....  You are right.  But, there is no way I can solve anything other than my own condition.

Last week, I had a chance to go to our little home in Moulton. It was such a breath of fresh air for my body and mental health. I kept busy doing things and not thinking about the world. My world shrunk down to 3d acres of land and a little house. My conflicts were with tall grass and brambles. My debt worries were confined to how much it was going to cost to mow the grass and fill up my old pickup truck. The troubles of my world involved finding time between projects to make a good meal. My radiation worries amounted only to how much sun I was going to get while gardening and being outside under that wonderful blue sky.  The noise of an angry world was just not there because all I heard was the song of a bird. I had time to make some specialized tools for myself and for Angela's pottery needs. To feel the smoothness of a piece of wood in my hands being transformed into a long shaping tool for tall vases was very relaxing. To have a fallout of wood shavings and sanding dust covering my floor to my workshop was not that bad. When I grew tired, I had a hot cup of coffee and I was renewed. I managed to mow two acres of land and have time to clean up both mowers before putting them back in the shed. My only regret was upsetting the three squirrels who had taken up residence in my storage shed above the roll up door. They were just as surprised as I was when they flew off the door to the ground as I opened up the mower storage area.

I had some time to start a new book. I watched a funny movie. I cooked and ate some healthy food. I slept in one morning. I got my feet dirty walking barefoot in the yard. I had a long conversation with my best friend about everything....

Life was different for me for two days. I came back early to work this past weekend, and Angela followed Saturday afternoon. We had a wonderful meal out and I was excited to see just how beautiful my Wife is when we went out. She wore a new dress and WOW, she look good. Austin was alive that night. There were people everywhere, enjoying themselves. The world seemed a great place to be!



Two days ago, I was listening to some beautiful music being sung by a man in his 80s. He had a voice that was out of this world. Even though I do not speak his language, I enjoyed the song so much. It was one of those songs that sends you into a trance of beauty. When the song ended, I found myself almost crying. I thought, what a waste of talent. This man could have been singing to the entire world, his beautiful songs, for a very long time, but, his talent went unheard the bulk of his life because he lived in a country that politically was ostracized from my world. Then, I thought, there must be millions of voices in this world that I will never hear. Billions of songs that will not be sung and recorded and shared with us all. So much beauty lost to politics and conflict and dogma....  Sad isn't it? Make a commitment to share a song with this world. Spread a  bit of beauty from one human to another tomorrow and every day. Embrace your friends and tell them you love them. And, ask them to do the same. Perhaps, one by one, that song will be heard around the world and that embrace will reach out and take the world in the collective arms of all mankind.  It is a dream worth dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment