Monday, April 11, 2011

Under Such Circumstances.....

I want to say a few words. Now, to my Tech of a few years, I know that concept will seem foreign. A FEW WORDS.... You see, we are about to have three of our beloved Techs leave for the real World. One already has departed to Motherhood and a new Nursing career. Wednesday, the second is about to leave the nest for a new career in Speech Therapy. Gosh, and I had so little time to try new speech impediments on her to see how she would have handled the diagnosis and the treatment. The third is going to leave in May for a new career guiding the lives of young juveniles, criminals, and social deviants. Wow! What a diverse group of young folks I have had the pleasure of working with.

Every time this event happens, I am very sad for a long time. I get attached! I am sorry. That is just the way I am. I get all wrapped up in their lives and it is like having one of my kids finally bail out of the nest and set off on their own. It hurts. They grow up and then they leave home and forget about their old Father (Father Scott) who is left to sit in front of a non-digital television set staring at a blank screen because the Federal Government decided that a non-analog broadcast was better for the general public. I will be sitting scratching my head wondering if I prepared them for the real world. It is down right depressing.

There have been many depart over the course of the last 30 years. Some I can barely remember now and some I remember like they were stuffed in the hall closet. There was that Tech with two different colored eyes who worked for me. She had blond hair and one blue eye and one green eye. I could not stop glancing from eye to eye when I talked to her, trying to decide which eye to look at, while trying not to look at her eyes... Then there was the tall lanky one who could not follow orders or instructions, who was hurting himself on a regular basis by falling over counters, and/or raising up and hitting his head on prescription bin drawers that he had opened as he bent down to pick something up off the floor. He had the hardest head I had ever seen. He left shortly after we told him to be careful and not press the panic button at the drive through window unless we were being held up or something like that. He was like that curious cat. He pressed the button one day, because it was there and he wanted to see what happened when you press the forbidden button. When half the law enforcement team in far West Travis county showed up one day with guns drawn to the Pharmacy, he discovered just what happens when you push the button. Then there was the one who was really good at solving computer problems for us. We decided that early on, we did not understand how that new computer system worked. So, one day, we decided to do a cleansing ritual on the system. It works for Shamans, why not computer systems. We dressed her up in a plastic table cover, tied a bandana around her head and put a feather duster in the headband, gave her a spatula to hold in her right hand and had her say some sort of ritualistic stuff and BINGO.... the system seemed to work better. Wait a minute! She has not left yet...she still works for me. Like I said, there have been many who have come and gone over the years...and some stay too.

But, to the Tech who is leaving this week. I have to say, she will be missed. She has been extremely fun to work with. She is our Chatterbox, with something interesting always to say. I have learned just how out of touch with the younger generation I really am since I have had the great good fortune to work with her. She is outspoken. She is witty. She is a wealth of useful information about almost any subject you can imagine. She knows how to gamble. She is a World traveller. She holds her own with the guys in the Pharmacy. She speaks several languages... English, Spanish, and some language spoken by those under the age of 30 years of age which baffles me because the words are familiar but the meanings are so different. I fear she is destined for greatness. I can see future generations flocking to her for guidance and education. And, I do not doubt she will give it.... in so many words. Wow! Did I mention that she is so loved by all of us at the Pharmacy and by those who trade with us and trust us with their health. She, along with the other two are going to be sorely missed by all. It will be like a huge hole in our lives to have them gone. I mean that!


So, I raise my glass of apple juice (which I need to take tonight to make my cholesterol medication work better) and say a toast to this young lady.... May the wind be at your back, May the hill rise before you, May you have the energy to make it up that hill without too much of a loss of breath. May the sun never blind your eyes and may your friends always text you (as long as you have a texting plan that is affordable). May you have a long memory of those who love you and may you never forget that some old Pharmacists appreciate all you have done and are eternally grateful for the friendship you gave them. Vaya con Dios!

No comments:

Post a Comment