Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Chewing Gum Economics and Other Stretched Truths

Get out a pencil and a piece of paper and write this number down....are you ready?

680,140.37


Ok, now get to work because that is the amount of money every family in the United States owes for your share of the debt of our country.  


Wow, does that make you shudder? It does me, except I have to be honest, I am just not going to worry about it. You have to understand that the debt really belongs to the big Mega Banks and not the taxpayers.

When I was a kid, they had a clock that ticked away noting how close we were getting to the end of it all due to a possible nuclear exchange between us and the Soviets. That Atomic destruction clock was a source of fear for every little kid in the nation. Then along came a ticker that showed the Federal Debt and I just ignored that because the number was just too big, even back then. It just kept running on and on and the number kept getting bigger and bigger. Now, the ticker must be extra large in size because a number that big is almost beyond comprehension by the general public. Heck, most people can't decide where to put the commas to denote the differences between thousands and millions and  billions....let alone, quadrillions. I heard an economist say the true debt (including all the derivatives that the Federal Reserve system has just created as debt) is $1.5 quadrillion. Holy Smokes!

You have to admit that we are in deep doo doo with our economy. Ok, I am going to have to stop listening to these economists. They are very depressing. But, if you don't like what you hear, just change the channel and you will hear another story that pretty much sugar coats the whole economic issue. Bottom line, things are not so good.  Did you catch the fact that gold and silver went up today? I believe that gold hit an all time historical high today at one point ($1527/ oz.). Do you realize that silver has gone from $5 an ounce just a matter of a few years ago to $47 an ounce as of today?  Man, don't you wish you had stocked up on gold and silver a few years back?

Did you hear that coffee has hit a high in commodity pricing that is the highest in the last 37 years. And, I believe that wheat futures have almost doubled...that is probably due to the crop failures in Russia, China and parts of Africa. Gasoline is still holding its price here in Austin at around $3.69 per gallon for the cheap stuff. But, did you catch that comment from one of the Federal Reserve presidents who stated that he anticipates that gasoline will hit $7.00 per gallon by the end of next year? I hope I get a raise in pay to cover the cost of going to work.

Over all, it is kind of gloomy out there in your world. So, what does all this mean for me? Well, I remember a line from a book I read years ago....."Fear is the mind killer....you must let it pass through...."
I remember a line stated by one of our illustrious Presidents back when my Father was a brave young fellow.... "We have nothing to Fear but Fear itself....." It is all this fear mongering which is killing us a little at a time. Take a deep breath and just let it go. You have to realize that if you are not willing to stand up and do something about the condition of your world, then you just have to let it all go and ride the wave. You may not like where it washes you up on shore, but at least, we all will be in the same place....up that proverbial creek without a paddle or a boat or our swim trunks... and if you look as bad as I do naked, then you better develop a good sense of humor.

I was just talking to my old Dog tonight....my Sweet Wife is out of town... and I was telling her all this and that she was going to have to cut back on her treats and the amount of grapes she eats... that did not sit well with her. She said back to me...."Rufffff.....whine whine whine whine....I need to go outside and visit the bushes....." I thought about that for a moment and got up and took her outside and came back to this computer to write a bit more and finish my steamed asparagus and rice with chunks of eggplant and pinto beans, along with a glass of almond milk (can't drink cow's milk any longer because of the potential radioactive contamination....you never know where those cows have been putting their lips). Thank the Powers that Be....at least the President released his Birth Certificate today. I believe I will be able to sleep better tonight knowing that the copy of that document is finally out in the open.

"Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight? If your Mother says don't chew it do you swallow it in spite?"

No comments:

Post a Comment