Friday, March 11, 2011

And Now For Something Completely Different

Whew! I feel great tonight! What a difference a day makes. I did not turn on the radio all day. I did not watch television, except for one documentary, which I will tell you about in a moment. Nothing negative to spoil the day. I washed clothes all day (very beneficial activity when you are trying to cleanse the soul of darkness). I stayed at home all day and had fun. I did my music thing. Ah, music soothes the savage soul and I do mean that from the bottom of my savage heart.

Yes, I washed a ton of dirty clothes. I was having so much fun that I decided to dirty some more clothes and wash them too, just for the fun of it. And, all through the day, I interspersed music. I downloaded over 200 new songs to a new playlist I call, "Coffee drinking Music". Oh, yes, I drank coffee all day. And, tonight I watched a documentary about Harry Nilsson, singer/songwriter. Wow!

Last night I had a wonderful time (prior to the earthquake) at an opening of a wonderful little exhibit of new art by James Tisdale, called Thoughts From China. I think that memory is what made the day start well. I just had to get away from all this heaviness of the world. You have to do that from time to time. So, what is the importance of all this? Life.

Last night as I walked around and looked at those pieces on display, I also was looking at all the artists in attendance of the affair. They were happy. They were having a great time. They were in their element. Despite everything else, they knew how to let go and find beauty and have fun in life.

When I go to affairs like the one last night, I always appreciate the talent of the artist. I have to say, James Tisdale is fantastic. I love his work. He captures emotion so well in these works of clay. How could you look into those eyes and not make a connection with the this face and the soul that must exist within the walls of this work of art?


I walked around and looked at these faces for a long time. Many of the artists who attended last night came and looked and then walked to corners to discuss and converse. I kept on looking. I just could not get enough. I found myself identifying with many of these little fellows. I also began to wonder if I were like any of them. In a way, I suppose we all are a great deal like these wonderful images. We are hollow, waiting to be filled with a new life. We all are a vessel, not unlike these characters, in that sense. But, the emotions on the faces....Wow!


There was one little fellow all by his lonesome. He is below. I had seen this piece before it was fired. I knew when I saw it for the first time, it was going to be something special. I could not wait to see what it was going to look like when finished....and here it is. 


Can you just imagine what thoughts are rushing through the mind of this little fellow? That is the kind of question that art makes you ask. And, in that moment when you ask, you realize too that the talent of the artist in the creation is so great that it provokes one to connect. Fantastic!


I could see a meditative quality to the piece below. Eyes closed. Contemplating life. Lost in thought. Carefree and yet so serious. 


Each piece seemed to have different qualities that made me imagine a story to attach to each one. Stern and watchful. Disturbed about the crowd who were walking around and looking with mouths open with amazement......


Quietly minding her own business, she waits for the crowds to thin so that she might relax and jump down and play in the room with her friends....


Hands on hips, they look on...not sure if they approve of all the activity....


And if all goes well and I could just get my fingers crossed, perhaps they will approve...


And, I did. What a wonderful night of art and conversation and visiting with old and new friends. That was the good of the evening....and then came this day that is ending now...


Harry Nilsson was another talent in his own right. I listened to the story of his life and heard the music he created and I was floored. So many talented people and so much to see, hear, and learn....where will the time come from for me to do all this? You may or may not know Harry Nilsson. The film said as much in the beginning. But, I guarantee you that you have heard his music. Well, that is if you are my age....
The story was a bitter sweet story filled with hardships and hopes and success and failure....not too different than life in general for most people. But, Nilsson did something with his life that I admire. Despite his ultimate demise due to his Rock Lifestyle, he lived his life to the fullest and in his own way. He created what he wanted to create and he loved everything he did. He was a maverick in the music field, who was well loved by musicians. He had a voice like an angel. He had a talent for lyrics and melody. He was recognized by his peers and yet he remained a humble man most of his life. He suffered and he let his suffering come to the surface in his work. He found happiness and that too came to be a part of his body of work. If only we all could find that great potential within and do as much with our lives as these two artists have and are doing. James Tisdale and Harry Nilsson...a couple of men I do admire. If you get the chance, go see the display at Laguna Gloria Gatehouse Gallery. You will love the Tisdale show! And, if you get a chance, purchase a few tunes of Harry Nilsson and see what I have been talking about.... sweet dreams to you all! Let the art float through your dreams tonight. 









No comments:

Post a Comment