Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Generation....

Wow! There is so much going on right now in this world. I am worn out tonight from contemplating all the events and news and speculation and regulations and decisions and protests and wars and weather and weird stuff.... And, I am envious of my sweet Wife, who gets to be outside of all this, at our little country place in Moulton.  She makes pottery and I worry....

But, I shall put all that out of my mind tonight and go try to find a comedy or travel documentary to watch. I was having a conversation with a fellow Pharmacist today and I came to realize that he and I have been doing what we do for a very long time. We both are in the middle of getting our Continuing Education points in line for our license renewal and I am also doing some special training to renew my Preceptor certification for another stretch of time. It dawned on me that I have been at this for 35 years plus the 5 years of college... 40 years of taking care of patients. 40 years of change. 40 years of out with the old and in with the new and a lot of reshaped Me Too drugs and treatments. I have to wonder what I could teach a new young student these days.

Well, I think my data base is still pretty good. The Generational differences these days are frightening to me. I find myself appearing like my parents, when it comes to understanding the younger generations. I have lots of young people working for me. They range in age from 20 to 50 and one old timer in his 60s. Every generation is so much different from the others. I tend to lump them all into one big mysterious group, at times. I don't understand the lack of commitment and the slack work ethic of some of them. I am amazed when they seem to be determined to excel, yet they also seem to be so greatly distracted by cell phones and x-boxes and such. Just when I think they all are total loners, I hear that they all tend to check up on each other and quietly help each other out when the chips are down. That sound somewhat familiar. They tend to be the best of Buds when they are outside of work. They share stories and lessons and boyfriends and girlfriends and money and apartments and cars and who knows what else. Most are very tolerant of racial things .... THANK GOD FOR THAT! I have been waiting for the generations of racial bigots to disappear for a long time. That gives me great hope for the future.

Someone once told me that my generation (the Baby Boomers) was a generation of yellers. We actually would call up radio talk shows and yell about stupid subjects and get all wound up over the most insane issues. We were the get it done generation, but we got frustrated when we found we could not always get it all done. We were the kids of the Greatest Generation and so we had lots to live up to, but we just could not do that. Our parents could do it all. We, on the other hand, thought we could do it all better when we got motivated as adults. We were rebellious as kids. We wore our hair long. We dressed in ridiculous clothes. We took too many chances when it came to such things as sexual freedom. We did not conform and thus the reason we became one big generation of conflicts. Conflicts with our parents. Conflicts with our Government. Conflicts with dress codes and rules and follow orders. We were conflicted in everything and thus the reason we began to yell about everything.  We are opinionated.... in a big way. Somehow, I think our kids quietly let us yell while they ignored us. Right under our noses, a whole new mindset sprung up without too much input from us. Kids now a days know how to get along, unless they are being greatly influenced by older generations. They seem to have it all together for the most part.  The commitment thing probably comes from all the divorces they saw in our group. Oh well, no one is perfect. They seem to have learned some things from our mistakes without much direct education from us. We told them to do as I say and not as I do and they promptly ignored that and fooled us. Good for them.

So, perhaps my generation should sit back and let the youngsters take over. We should bite our tongues and not say a thing. Keep our opinions to ourselves should be out mantra. Perhaps we should all go to India and sit and meditate with a Guru. We should just seek that higher ground and let the next generation fix all the problems we created. All I ask is, leave me enough money to live out my life in comfort. All that yelling has worn me out. Man, I need some Tofu and brown rice.... Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment