Thursday, January 27, 2011

The State of My Union

Ah, a day off.  What better way to fill a day off than to spend it with someone special. You know who that was, so, let me tell you what happened today. The day began as usual. Up before the Sun comes up and get the coffee on the stove.  Well, actually, the coffee is on the counter and the hot water for the French Press is on the stove, but who cares about the details. Let's just stick to the story and try to gel along with it. Water boils....coffee is made...coffee is consumed with small black and white terrier resting between my legs in usual morning position....all is good. One slight variation this morning was the lack of strawberries and milk. So, I popped into the shower and got dressed in my Camoflage pants and black shirt and tennis shoes and I was off to hunt down the wild strawberry and illusive half gallon of organic milk. Found them and purchased them along with grapes for the other dog and some apple juice for myself and I returned home to another cup of coffee before hitting the road on a grand adventure.

Breakfast Menu
Breakfast was had on the run today. I was not sure what I wanted so the first place we found that seemed to serve wholesome breakfast fare was our first stop of the trip. I could not decide what I wanted so I blew the entire wad and went for the delux breakfast of J.W. Donuts, a Breakfast Taco and a side order of deer corn. It cost 7.99 but they served all the coffee I could drink. Thank God for that. Deer corn is a bit on the crunchy side unless you soften it up a bit with something like hot coffee. I was stuffed and feeling rather like a vigorous Buck so the next leg of the trip was spent talking big and living loud till we reached Moulton for a quick stop. Restroom stop is always needed after so much coffee and corn. Anyway, we decided to spend a few minutes at the place since it was such a beautiful day. I went for a quick walk about the place and found a dead tree fallen on our fence. 

Now, me a timber do not always agree. I remembered that I had a hard time lifting this particular fallen tree the last time I noticed it and so this time was going to be just as bad as the last, I thought. Much to my surprise, the tree was a bit on the rotten side, so with my superior strength, I managed to snap it and lift it off the fence and back into the railroad right of way. Fantastic! I continued back towards the orchard behind Bila Hora gardens and found an opening in the brush which led up to the top of the railroad mound. There I came across another dead tree resting across the path. This concerned me for I did not want it falling on some unsuspecting hiker, ie., me. Once again I began heaving the limbs around and trying to dislodge the tree from the neighboring tangle of branches. It was at about that point that I had an unexpected flash of brilliance. It was like a close encounter of the tree kind. The entire tree broke in half and guess where one half fell? Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus! Striking this reporter squarely in the side of the head, laying open a 3/4 inch gash which I might add bled very nicely, the trunk continued to the ground ripping off my new sunshades and some skin in the process.  I always enjoy reaching up and coming back with a handful of blood and hair. Oops!


Now, I do have a very nice selection of bandaids and antibiotic ointments at the place for this has happened before. Let me tell you a secret, heads bleed profusely but it usually is nothing more than the proverbial flesh wound. I pulled the two sides of the gash together with a bandaid and all was mended. It was time to move on to another portion of our grand adventure and I was going to be sure that it was a bit safer. Did I mention I really love that dress?

The Dress
TSA Scan of my Skull
Well, I told Angela that my vision was twice as good as it was when we left the house this morning and so we decided to make a stop and have a brain X-ray done. I popped into the local airport and asked if they could put me through their Full Body Naked Body scanner and they said sure. They were even willing to pat me down and check all my vital parts since they were getting very good at doing so with all the flyers. Well, after a quick X-ray and a grope, I was satisfied that I was still intact. The double vision could be compensated for by focusing on the fences on each side of the road and ignoring what was in the paved middle part. We were good to go, and we did. Next stop was supposed to be La Vernia, Texas for a western belt, but as per usual, I jigged when I should have jogged and we ended up on the wrong road. What the heck! We decided to go visit a part of England. Yes, we ended up in Cheapside, a notorious street in London where locals tell stories of Knights and Churchmen and Fair Damsels and such. I had the chance to see where Sir Lancelot was buried. What an honor.

Grave of Sir Lancelot Abbotto

Ruins in Cheapside
Well, the day was growing long in the tooth and I realized that we seemed to be a long way from home and the lunch I had consumed on the banks of a River where the battle cry was once shouted, "Come and Take It!" was running out. I was told that I did have some nuts left. I could survive. We parted from the old town and its ruins. I had a wonderful day and the mystery of it was just fascinating. Speaking of a fantasy and a mystery...For instance, while looking for Beaver Nuggets and Turkey Jerky along the highway, I ran smack dab into one of my employees from Austin.


I was amazed at this. You are never further than 5 people away from someone you know. Here I was standing in the middle of Beaver country decked out in my special camo pants and black shirt and sunshades with matching tennis shoes (I told her I was going Snipe Hunting) and there was Tatiana and her friend, Yvanna Marlena the Austrian Belly Dancer and Tarot Card reader. Wow! I was floored by the fact that Tatiana saw that I had purchased some Turkey Jerky for the dog. I told her it was approved by my Wife. 

Do You Approve?

                   She believed me! Ha! 

Well, what can I say. One cannot live on Yogurt and Nuts forever. I can report with confidence that we did not see any UFOs on the way back to Austin. Do you think concussions can cause confusion? I hear my dog calling. I must go and rest. Till later.





 Nope, didn't see them....

Its Just a Flesh Wound

No comments:

Post a Comment