Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Fool on a Hill

Oh Danny Boy... the pipes the pipes are calling. From Glen to Glen and down the mountain side. The summer's gone and all the roses falling. Tis you, tis you must go and I must bide. But come you back when summer's in the meadow or when the valley's hushed and white with snow. Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow. Oh Danny Boy, Oh Danny boy I love you so....

But come you back when summer's in the meadow. Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow...Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow. Oh Danny Boy, Oh Danny Boy, I love you so....

But when you come and all the flowers are dying. If I am dead, as dead I well may be...You'll come and find the place where I am lying and kneel and say an Ave there for me....And I shall hear though soft you tread above me. And all my grave will warmer, sweeter be. For you'll bend and tell me that you love me and I shall sleep in peace until you come to me.......

I have an idea that I am about to slip into a new dream tonight that will lead me back home. Every time I hear this song, I get nostalgic. I remember all those who have passed. I dozed off a bit this afternoon and I dreamt that I was standing on a hill, barren and rock covered, in the middle of a cemetery in my home town. I know that hill well. Just to the west lay my Parents and two Brothers. Just to the east is my Grandmother and Grandfather and Aunt. Just to the north is many more relatives and friends. It was a strange dream but a comforting one at that. I could stand there and look in any direction and there were friends and family, resting and waiting.

Danny Boy was a song that became one of the most beloved Irish tunes that you can imagine. It was written from the standpoint of a Mother speaking to her Son. A many an Irish son left the Old Country for a new beginning. Many if not most of those Sons never returned to find that resting place the Mother sings about. It is a haunting song. I know where my Mother is resting. It is deep within my heart as is my Father and two Brothers who have passed. Perhaps another is about to pass. I have no idea if that will happen. I don't always know when one is about to go on. I have experienced that knowing in the past. It is hard to tell this time.

Sweet memories....sweet memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment