Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spaghetti, Oil, and Herbs are a Royal Thing


When Gaddafi went on television recently and stated that he was just a Head of State that was very much the figurehead in his country with no real job there... like the Queen of England... he must have stepped on someone's toes in England. They were already mad at him for selling most of his crude oil to Italy and now, such a statement about the Queen was just too much. I would not doubt that the British Marines supported by our Marines don't show up on the shores of Libya and teach him how to sing two songs...God Save the Queen and The Halls of Montezuma. 

Gasoline went up 10 cents over night. Lets see...that is about 23 cents total in the past 3 days. Exxon is going to make another record haul this year thanks to us all needing to drive to work. But enough of this news stuff.... lets talk about cooking.

Despite the fact that garlic went up 100% this past week, I have decided to go ahead and prepare a big pot of spaghetti this coming weekend. I love spaghetti. I have loved spaghetti since I was a kid. I remember my cousin would always cook a big pot of spaghetti when my parents would come to visit, because she knew just how much I loved spaghetti. She would cook those noodles just right and pour over a big pot of sauce she had prepared using canned tomatoes, herbs, onions, garlic, pepper, and pan browned ground meat. Yum! You could see the fat from the meat floating in the sauce pan, but that did not matter because that is what made the sauce cling to the noodles. It all was heavenly. Serve a tossed salad out of the garden with big tomatoes sliced up and cucumbers and iced tea...Oh Wow! It was a meal fit for a King or Queen. I bet even Gaddafi would love that spaghetti since I believe his Mother was part Italian. 

It is so sad not being able to eat that good spaghetti these days. It is sad that the world is falling apart too. I am about to go grocery shopping Saturday and I hope the prices have not gone up too much. I know that grocery companies are feeling the pinch on profits while they try to hold down prices to consumers in these times of ever increasing inflationary spirals upwards of everything you purchase. I stocked up on noodles a while back and I have a big can of chopped tomatoes to make sauce. I do still have a few cloves of garlic purchased at the old price. I think there is a some broccoli in the fridge and a few potatoes on the counter. I am out of onions.....rats. The herbs are in the freezer and I have plenty of olive oil. I even have some Italian eggplant sausage to put in the spaghetti sauce. We just might be eating high on the hog this weekend. 

Did I mention that  the 6th Fleet is beefing up its presence in the Mediterranean? I think they are planning a surprise for the next few days. Mr. M. Gaddafi may want to place his order for some good food at a restaurant in Zimbabwe and pick it up while he is at it. Oh, speaking of Mediterranean, I love a diet from that region of the world. And, the music is very pleasing to the ear. It is sad that things are so much in an upheaval over there. Us Americans could use more Mediterranean dishes in our diets. It is healthy food and a healthy lifestyle with plenty of fresh air, garlic, fermented things, fresh vegetables, seafood...

And, all this just makes me hungry for some Moroccan Couscous. I love that stuff. It is easy to fix and very versatile for a quick meal. I need to go fix something to eat. I skipped dinner tonight. I had some water crackers, which I shared with my dog. That is all I have eaten this evening and I think I am going to be very hungry by morning. Oh wow, speaking of morning. It is late and I need to get to bed so I can get up and go to work to earn some money to pay for that expensive gasoline which I am betting will go up another 10 cents in the next two days depending upon what Queen Gaddafi does in his country.  Will the insanity ever end? Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment